Eating with braces
We love food. Having braces does not mean we can no longer have our favourite foods. There are so many delicious foods that we can still enjoy while wearing braces!
First thing you need to keep in mind is that biting hard food may damage your braces. Therefore, a softer diet is recommended when you are wearing braces.
A Soft Diet consists of soft textured foods that are easy to chew and swallow. The food texture can be changed by cooking, mashing or chopping. For example, instead of biting a whole apple, you should cut the apple into small pieces.
- Milk & Dairy Products, e.g. milkshakes, cream cheese, cottage cheese, mild cheeses.
- Meat & Meat Substitutes, e.g. broiled, roasted, baked or stewed tender lean beef, mutton, lamb, veal, chicken, turkey, liver, ham, crisp bacon.
- White fish, tuna, salmon.
- Eggs, smooth peanut butter.
- Breads & Grains, e.g. rice, noodles, spaghetti, macaroni.
- Dry or cooked refined cereals such as farina, cream of wheat, oatmeal, grits, whole wheat cereals.
- Plain or toasted white or wheat blend or whole grain breads, soda crackers or saltines, flour tortillas.
- Broths or creamed soups made with allowed vegetables, strained tomatoes.
- Beverages, e.g. fruit and vegetable juices, milkshakes, smoothies
- Desserts & Sweets that do not contain crunchy nuts or hard candies